|News & Events | Contact Us | Visit MCLA | People Finder | Search
Life Enrichement Intern - Easthampton, MA
For additional information, contact:
|Life Enrichement Intern - Easthampton, MA|
|Number of Openings|
|General Description: The basic purpose of this position is to maximize the independence, skills, and self-esteem of individuals with developmental disabilities as well as empower them to take control over the things in life that they value. |
Position Dates: Summer 2013
-6 hour minimum weekly commitment
-AM & PM options
-Some flexibility allowed
-Undergraduate or graduate student
-Major in one of the following fields: Human Services, Psychology, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Human Development, or similar major
Essential Job Functions: There are many duties which comprise the full range of staff responsibilities embodied in the Life Enrichment Volunteer position. Each of these duties is considered essential for the performance of the job. They are not listed in order of priority.
• Through the principles of informed choice of the people served: involves participants in the decision-making and implementation of the services they receive; provides services to enhance the independence, self-esteem and skills of participants. Informs staff, specialists, and director about each person as appropriate.
• Implements service objectives and records relevant data; supports participants in daily living, social, communication and other skills which are beyond ISP objectives; records other information as specified.
• Ensures participants’ health and safety by adhering to safety and health standards as prescribed by regulations, company policies, and job training which include but are not limited to monitoring activities, assisting in fire drills, assisting participants to and from vans and other activities, taking attendance, reporting incidents, responding to emergencies and following OSHA standards.
• Plans for and accompanies participants on community trips in accordance with Life Enrichment procedures and practices; provides regular opportunities for individuals to integrate into the wider community.
• Sets up work areas, snacks and lunch; cleans and maintains program areas.
• Ensures that all participants’ rights under DDS are observed.
• Exercises good judgment in all aspects of the job.
• Demonstrates considerate, cooperative, and constructive attitudes and behaviors in working with participants, participants’ significant supports, and other employees.
• Other duties as required.
Working conditions: There are a number of challenges inherent in the working conditions of this position. Given the disabilities of the participant population, the volunteer must show empathy and good judgment at all times. While time management is essential, flexibility is also required. Despite the considerable autonomy within the job, it is a team position and requires a high level of collaboration, cooperation, and consideration.
Safety Requirements: Riverside Industries, Inc. takes safety and health issues very seriously. All staff must remain vigilant to all safety and health issues pertaining to participants and ensure safety and health standards prescribed by regulations, company policy and job trainings.
Please Submit Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
App Deadline: Open until filled
|Personable, willing to learn, collaborative, cooperative, and considerate. Comfortable working with a variety of different people and individuals with developmental disabilities. |
|Hours per Week|
|6 hour minimum |
|Riverside Industries, Inc.|
|1 Cottage Street|
Easthampton, MA 01027
|Volunteer Coordinator |
|Please send a copy of your resume and a cover letter on why you believe you would be a good fit at Riverside and how you can benefit from being an intern with us. |
Career Services Center
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
375 Church Street
North Adams, MA 01247-4100