How to Apply for New York Administrator License

Note: Licensure regulations are subject to change. For updates and more information about licensure in New York, contact the New York State Education Department, your school district, or the local BOCES office.

Please follow all the steps below in order to apply for your NY administrator license. 

1. During the final summer residency, complete and submit the Request for Licensure Recommendation to the MCLA Coordinator of Educator Licensure and Placement. This information is required for MCLA to recommend you for licensure.

2. Complete all requirements of the Leadership Academy program at MCLA. 

3. Log in to your NY TEACH account: 

4. Apply for your Administrator license and pay application fee online. 
a)    After you choose the appropriate license and level, proceed to this page: Educational Preparation for this application only. Choose the response B at the bottom of the page:
"No, I have not completed, nor am I enrolled in, an Approved Teacher Preparation Program at a New York State College or University for this certificate and this type." 
b)    On the next page: Interstate Reciprocity, choose the response b: "Yes, I completed an Approved Teacher Education program that would lead to certification in the state that I completed the program."
c)    Complete your application.
d)    Pay the application fee. 

!!Be sure to apply for the correct license; in most cases "School Building Leader." All MA Principal levels are equivalent to NY SBL K-12.

5. The endorsement statement is placed on your transcript after you have completed all requirements successfully and is a permanent part of your transcript. You can check on Banner to see if the endorsement is on your transcript. Once the statement appears, request that the Registrar's Office send an official transcript to the NY Ed. Dept. The instructions are online at 
!!Do not request a transcript before the endorsement has appeared. You can check on Self-Service Banner to see if the endorsement is on your transcript.

While waiting for NY to process your license, you can show a print-out of your pending license status from TEACH and/or your transcript to show employers that your licensure requirements have been completed. 

6. If you also desire a MA administrator license, please follow the MA instructions provided separately. You will also need to pass the MA Test for Educator Licensure ( required for this license.

NOTE: If you do not complete all the above steps, your license will not be approved.

If you have any questions about licensure in NY, please contact the NYS Education Dept., your school district, or local BOCES office.