MCLA Logo 125
Aerial view of Murdock Hall

International Students

International Students Application Requirements

If you are an international student studying or residing outside of the U.S., you can only apply to MCLA as a full-time student in a degree program. You need to provide the following by March 1st for the fall semester or by November 15th for the spring semester:

  • Common Application
  • Personal Statement/Essay (250 - 500 words)
  • Letter(s) of Recommendation
  • Official secondary school transcript and/or college transcripts formally evaluated course by course. The following organizations provide a course by course evaluation: CED (, WES (, and ECE (
  • SAT I or ACT scores (MCLA's College Board code is 3521 and ACT code is 1908)
  • English Language Test Results: TOEFL (minimum 79 on iBT or 550 on paper) or IELTS (minimum 6.0) or PTE (minimum 50)
  • Certificate of Finances form or notarized bank statement (see additional information below)
Certification of Finances: As required by U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services, you must complete the Certification of Finances form to verify access to sufficient financial resources to attend the College. All international students (not permanent residents or citizens of the U.S.) are classified as "out-of-state" students for tuition purposes. Since the College is unable to provide financial aid to international students, you must demonstrate adequate resources to meet yearly estimated expenses.

Health Insurance: Massachusetts State Law requires that all full-time students participate in a health insurance plan

Work: International students studying on an F-1 Visa in the U.S. are eligible to work in paid on-campus positions, but employment is not guaranteed. It is illegal for students on an F-1 Visa to be employed anywhere else. A student's potential earnings cannot substitute for, or be included in, financial documentation.  

Financial Aid: Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts is unable, under any circumstances, to provide financial aid to international students.  

I-20 Form: MCLA issues an I-20 form only after a student is accepted and has provided the required enrollment deposit.