Housing Assignment Process for 2014-2015
General Information about Living On Campus
New students (freshmen, transfers & re-admits) who plan to reside on campus are required to sign a Residence Area Occupancy Agreement indicating that the conditions of the Agreement and Further Terms and Conditions have been read and understood. The Residence Area Occupancy Agreement is for the entire academic year and cannot be canceled during that time unless you withdraw from the College. The Residence Area Occupancy Agreement is a legally binding document, just like one that might be signed for an off‑campus apartment. Please make sure that you carefully read all the terms and conditions prior to signing the Agreement.
The Housing Assignment Preference Form allows you to express a preference for a particular type of housing assignment and/or roommate. Housing assignments are made according to the date your enrollment deposit was received by the Office of Admission. Specific assignment and roommate preferences will be honored whenever possible, but cannot be guaranteed. The earlier your enrollment deposit date, the greater the likelihood of receiving first preference on your specific housing assignment requests.
For fall semester admits, the Residence Area Occupancy Agreement and Housing Assignment Preference Form must be completed and returned to Residential Programs & Services (RPS) by Wednesday, July 9, 2014. Specific room assignments, roommate name & address and other pertinent information will be e-mailed out to each resident during the week of August 4th.
College policy requires that all students reside on campus and participate in the full meal plan program during their first three years at MCLA. Students in good standing at the institution are eligible for on-campus housing during the remainder of their college career. After the first year, housing assignments are made in the spring during the Returning Student Housing Assignment Process. The order in which students select their assignments is based on a ranking of class standing, grade point average and campus citizenship. You will receive additional information about this process during the school year.
Please read the following instructions carefully and be sure to pay particular attention to what you need to do and the deadline date for doing it. This will prevent you from losing your place in the housing assignment queue which is based on the date you paid your enrollment deposit. Also, since you will have to print off a couple of .pdf files, make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of Adobe Reader onto your computer. This software is free and available on-line at: http://www.adobe.com
1. Read the Residence Area Occupancy Agreement in its entirety. After reading this document, print off the 6th page. Fully complete this form. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian must also sign the Residence Area Occupancy Agreement. (Note: Please leave the MCLA Room Assignment, MCLA P.O. Box Number and MCLA Phone Number questions blank on this form. You'll get that information later in the summer.)
2. Read the description of each residence area, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and the information about our new theme housing communities before completing the Housing Assignment Preference Form. Also, please think about whether you would like to request a specific roommate. If you do, the roommate you are requesting must also request you as a roommate on his/her Housing Assignment Preference Form.
3. Return both the Residence Area Occupancy Agreement (RAOA) and the Housing Assignment Preference Form to Residential Programs & Services (RPS) no later than Wednesday, July 9th. Our mailing address is: RPS-MCLA, 375 Church Street, North Adams, MA 01247. Our fax number is 413-662-5004. Our e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to scan your forms and send them electronically. A copy of your RAOA will be kept on file in the RPS office in Townhouse #89.
4. If you have a need that requires a special housing accommodation, please print off the Special Housing Accommodations Request Form and complete the "Student" section. You should give the "Physician/Therapist" section to the appropriate medical professional. Both sections of the Special Housing Accommodations Request Form should be sent to the RPS office along with your Residence Area Occupancy Agreement and your Housing Assignment Preference Form.
5. Your assignment, the name and address of your roommate (if applicable) and other pertinent information will be e-mailed to you during the week of August 4th.
6. If you are not satisfied with your room assignment, you may submit a Room Change Request Form two weeks after the start of the semester. This form is available at the Residential Programs & Services office in Townhouse #89 and under the QuickLink section of the Campus Housing website.
7. New Student Check-in for the fall semester will take place on Sunday, August 31st from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Just report to the front desk of your assigned residence area. To help you get ready for your move here, read through all the important room decorating and packing list information we have provided.