Call Campus Police immediately (campus phones ext. 5100 or 911; other phones 413.662.5100 or 911).
- Quickly apply direct pressure using a clean thick pad or cloth to help control bleeding.
- Lay the victim down, if possible and safe to do so.
- Elevate bleeding body parts.
- Cover the person with a blanket or coat to reduce body heat loss.
Neck, spine, or back injury
- DO NOT MOVE the person unless the immediate environment can cause further harm to the patient.
- Check breathing.
- Check the pulse in the neck artery under the lower jaw line, using middle and index fingers.
Unresponsive (no pulse, not breathing)
- If you know CPR, begin immediately. Ask a bystander to call 911.
- Clear the area around the patient to protect from further injury.
- DO NOT place anything in the patient's mouth or attempt to restrain the patient.
Complete list of emergencies