Veteran Student Information
Information for MCLA Students who are United States Armed Forces Veterans, Active Duty, Selected Reserve, National Guard, or their Dependents. Students are encouraged to identify their veteran status upon their initial enrollment with the Registrar's Office, Eldridge Hall Quad Level. Student can also contact Steven King in the Registrar's office by phone at (413) 662-5216, or by email.
The Registrar's Office certifies eligibility for tuition benefits with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Students should contact the Registrar's Office to apply. Benefits can come from one of the following sources:
- Massachusetts Categorical Tuition Waiver
- Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- The Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- REAP (Reserve Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 1607)
- VEAP (Veterans Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 32)
- DEA (Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 35)
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)
College credit for Military Training Programs
The Registrar's Office also evaluates potential college credit for military training programs, college courses taken while on active duty, and various examination programs. MCLA awards college transfer credit based on the recommendations provided by the American Council on Education, DANTES, and our own Experiential Credit Program. Students are encouraged to contact the Registrar's Office for more information.
Veterans Student Services
The Office of Student Affairs serves as a resource for student veterans and their families by coordinating campus-based and community assistance. Students and their families are encouraged to contact Thomas Alexander in the Office of Student Affairs for assistance by phone at (413) 662-5440, or by e-mail. The Office located on the 3rd floor in the Campus Center, room 319, is open to assist with any of your academic, personal, social, career, or other college success concerns.
Veterans Resource Center
The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) at MCLA is a centralized resource hub, easily accessible and widely available to all veterans and their families. We strive to meet the needs of veterans so they may successfully transition to academic life. The VRC is located in Venable Hall room 309.
Information for Students called up to Active Duty
Students called to active duty while enrolled at MCLA should bring the original copy of their military orders to CSSE / Advising, Eldridge Hall, top level. CSSE / Advising will facilitate the student's departure from campus and help determine which College policies regarding withdrawal, Leave of Absence, refunds, and grading should be applied. Advising Services will contact the following departments on behalf of the student called up for active duty:
- The student's academic advisor and current faculty for the semester will be notified. Depending upon the time of withdrawal, it will be determined whether the student will receive grades of "W", or "I". Students will have a deadline of 6 weeks into the semester to which they return to complete work in any course for which a grade of "I" is assigned.
- The Registrar's Office will report the student's status to the Department of Veterans Affairs, process withdrawals, and/or Leave of Absence, as needed.
- The Office of Financial Aid will resolve any issues pertaining to the student's aid package for the semester.
- The Bursar's Office will process any applicable refunds for tuition, residence hall, or dining services.
- Residential Programs and Services will process the student's departure from the residence halls and terminate food service, if applicable.
These procedures ensure that students called to active duty should be held harmless academically and financially. The College will seek to respond in such a way that minimizes the stress and difficulty for students making the transition to military service.