Wee Read Berkshire County
The Berkshire Compact for Education collaborates each year with the early childhood providers and libraries of Berkshire County and the Berkshire United Way's Early Childhood Think Tank to offer Wee Read Berkshire County in April. The initiative is designed to promote the importance of early childhood literacy and reading to children.
- Storywalk events during April Vacation:
- Tuesday, April 22 at Berkshire Botanical Garden in Stockbridge, 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, April 24 walking tour of Town of Lenox (meet at Lenox Library), 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. with live readings at 11:30 a.m & 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 25 walking tour of Town of Great Barrington (meet at Subway on Main St.), 10:00 - 11:30 a.m.
- School Readiness Fair-- Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the Berkshire Mall, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Family Fun Day-- Saturday, May 17, 2014 at the Berkshire Anthenaeum, 10:30am-12:00pm.
- Week of the Young Child events-- details TBD
Meetings are held monthly at the Berkshire Anthenaeum:
- Wednesday, April 16
- Wednesday, May 21
- Wednesday, June 18
This April vacation, come enjoy Storywalk events in Southern Berkshire County. All are free and open to the public! Readers begin at page one of the chosen book. Whether walking, skipping or leaping to the next posted page, readers will follow the story accented by colorful pictures. The two-page spreads are posted over the course of the "walk" and end with a live reading and craft.
Registration requested but not required--> 413-528-0721 or email@example.com
In April 2013, reading events revolving around the book "The Tiny Seed,"
by Eric Carle were held throughout Berkshire County. We distributed
1,500 copies of the book to children at StoryWalks*, library reading
hours and other special events along with a customized bookmark with
family reading tips. The program builds upon Pittsfield's Wee Read initiative as well as early literacy programs that have been developed throughout the Berkshires.
WEE READ BERKSHIRE COUNTY, 2013 SCHEDULE
- Berkshire Compact for Education
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
Berkshire Athenaeum and the libraries of Berkshire County
Berkshire County Head Start
Child Care of the Berkshires
Pittsfield Public Schools; Pittsfield Wee Read
- The Community Health Programs Inc.
The Berkshire United Way's Early Childhood Think Tank
The Coordinated Family Engagement Coordinators of North County, Pittsfield, Central Berkshire and South County
- Berkshire Children and Families
* The StoryWalk® Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, Vermont and developed in collaboration with the Vermont Bicycle & Pedestrian Coalition and the Kellogg-Hubbard Library.
Funders for 2013 are Berkshire Compact/MCLA, Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation, Friends of the Berkshire Athenaeum and Childcare of the Berkshires.