How to Apply for Massachusetts Initial Administrator License
Please follow all the steps below in order to apply for your MA administrator license.
1. Complete all requirements of the Leadership Academy program at MCLA.
2. Set up your MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Educator Licensure and Recruitment (ELAR) account https://gateway.edu.state.ma.us/elar/userregistration/RegistrationPageControl.ser if you do not already have one. You can check your application progress and licensure status on your ELAR account.
3. Apply for your Initial License and pay the application fee on ELAR before you complete the program. Be sure to apply for the correct license, in most cases "Initial Principal/Assistant Principal."
4. Submit the completed MCLA Request for Licensure Recommendation to the MCLA Coordinator of Educator Licensure and Placement. This information is required for MCLA to recommend you for licensure.
5. The endorsement statement is placed on your transcript after you have completed all requirements successfully and is a permanent part of your official transcript. Once the statement appears on your transcript, request that the Registrar's Office send an official transcript to DESE. The instructions are online at http://www.mcla.edu/Academics/academicresources/registrar.
Do not request a transcript before the endorsement has appeared, usually within 4 weeks or program completion. You can check on Self-Service Banner to see if the endorsement is on your transcript. Once the above requirements are met, the Education Office will process your electronic endorsement in ELAR. While waiting for DESE to process your license, you can provide a print-out of your pending license status from ELAR and/or your transcript to show employers that your licensure requirements have been completed.
For more information contact Nancy Pearlman, Coordinator of Educator Licensure and Placement: email@example.com or 413.662.5522.