News & Events  |  Contact Us  |  People Finder  |  Search   

How to Apply for New York Administrator License

Note: Licensure regulations are subject to change. For updates and more information about licensure in New York, contact the New York State Education Department, your school district, or the local BOCES office.

Please follow all the steps below in order to apply for your NY administrator license.

1. Complete all requirements of the Leadership Academy program at MCLA.

2. Set up your TEACH account if you do not already have one: If you already have a TEACH account, use that same login information or your application will be delayed.

3. Apply for your Administrator license and pay application fee online:

a)    After you choose the appropriate license and level, proceed to this page: Educational Preparation for this application only. Choose the response "b" at the bottom of the page:

  "No, I have not completed, nor am I enrolled in, an Approved Teacher Preparation Program at a New York State College or University for this certificate and this type."

b)  On the next page: Interstate Reciprocity, choose the response "b": "Yes, I completed an Approved Teacher Education program that would lead to certification in the state that I completed the program."

c)   Complete your application.

d)  Pay the application fee.

Be sure to apply for the correct license; in most cases "School Building Leader."

4. Submit the completed MCLA Request for Licensure Recommendation to the MCLA Coordinator of Educator Licensure and Placement. This information is required for MCLA to recommend you for licensure.

5. The endorsement statement is placed on your transcript after you have completed all requirements successfully and is a permanent part of your official transcript. Once the statement appears on your transcript, request that the Registrar's Office send an official transcript to the NYS Education Dept. The instructions are online at

Do not request a transcript before the endorsement has appeared, usually within 2 weeks of program completion. You can check on Self-Service Banner to see if the endorsement is on your transcript.

6. If you also desire a MA administrator license, please follow the MA instructions and provide your MEPID on the Request for Recommendation Form.

If you have any questions about licensure in NY, please contact the NYS Education Dept., your school district, or local BOCES office.