SPAIN TRAVEL COURSE
March 7-16, 2013
**Dates are subject to change depending on flight availability**
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Discover the vibrant arts, history and politics of Spain, with a particular travel focus on Barcelona, the capital city of the region of Catalunya, and Madrid, Spain's capital. This course is a hybrid environment, which means that most of it will be conducted online with a few face-to-face meetings before and after departure.
Spain is formed by 17 autonomous communities, all unified by the central government of Madrid, yet all proudly boasting their own history, customs, and traditions and languages.
- Students will deepen their understanding of Spain's arts, beliefs and institutions.
- Students will be able to critically and comparatively examine the historical, social, economic, and political issues of Spain, particularly the post-Franco reorganization of the country based on the different language spoken regionally and among the different civilizations that populate Spain (Galician, Catalan, Basque).
- Students will be able to apply classroom concepts to the sights they will be visiting.
- Before departing and upon returning, students will produce assignments based on texts provided during on-campus meetings, individual research and first-hand observations.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS: Students will read the critically acclaimed book "Ghosts of Spain," by Giles Tremlett, and contribute to class discussions. They are also encouraged to conduct independent research on related topics of interest. Upon return from the trip, students will produce a travel journal composed of information from academic readings along with first-hand experience from their travels.
Projected cost for students under 23, $2,800; costs for students and other travelers over 23, is estimated at $3,000. The trip is handled by EFTours, a leading company in the college study tours sector.
- Commercial airline flight to Spain
- 24/7 bilingual tour director
- Central 3-star hotel accommodation, in triple or quadruple rooms
- All breakfasts and two dinners
Travel fee does not include the following:
- Daily lunches
- Passport and visa fees
- Customary tips for tour director
- Pocket money for your own expenses
If you plan to use Financial Aid dollars to fund this trip, please talk to your Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible.