MCLA Leadership Academy: 2014 Cohort
The MCLA Leadership Academy is a cohort model that blends academic content with practical skill and knowledge development. Created to support the advancement of working professionals, the Academy is a low residency model (summer and weekend), with independent and online work assigned between sessions. Students will earn 30 credits through pre-practicum experiences, six courses, an administrative project, an administrative practicum, and a culminating Leadership Academy Conference.
MCLA Leadership Academy courses will be taught by nationally recognized educational theorists, and successful school and district practitioners serving in the roles of superintendent, principal, curriculum coordinator, and department leader. Courses will include a blend of social, political, and academic theories and practices in examining current trends in public education. We want to prepare school and district leaders who will ensure the highest quality and most equitable, just and effective learning environments for students. Activities will include reading, writing, discussion, group projects, case studies, simulations, experiences in museums, lectures by prominent thinkers, project-based tasks, self-assessment, quizzes/tests, fieldwork, and application of course concepts.
Program Quick Facts:
- A current Initial (or higher) teaching license
- Three years experience teaching under this license
- A master's degree
- Completion of application materials including: three letters of endorsement, a personal statement, and official college transcripts
- A signed statement from the licensed school administrator who will oversee your internship. Click here for endorsement form
- April 2014: Online preparation
- July 10-25, 2014: Summer residency (7am - 9pm most days)
- September 2014 through May 2015: Online courses with one weekend residency in fall 2014 and spring 2015
- July 7-10, 2015: Leadership Academy Conference
- July 10-19, 2015: Optional CAGS Extended Summer Residency.
Estimated Costs:Costs include tuition, currently priced at $300/credit. Additionally, fees associated with the summer residency, the weekend residencies, and the field supervision are included. Totals listed below are spread over the program duration, 4-5 semesters, 16-21 months:
- Total Program Cost: $11,450
- Total Program Cost plus CAGS: $15,050
These costs reflect tuition, activities/program fees, and most meals during residency. They do not include optional housing, which is available on campus for @ $90/night.
MCLA reserves the right to unilaterally add, withdraw, or revise any course offerings of the above mentioned program of study including policies, requirements, and fees.
Need more information?
Dana Rapp, Program Director