Advising supports you throughout your time at MCLA, empowering you to make informed
educational, career, and life decisions.
We can help you with:
- General college and academic program information, including core curriculum, declaring
or changing a major or minor, and graduation requirements
- Advising for all undeclared students
- General advising for non-matriculated students and non-traditional adult learners
- Prior learning 1-15 Credits Application and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit
- Class registration and schedule adjustments for undeclared students
- General academic difficulties, academic recovery related to suspension and probation
How to Prepare for Advisor Meetings
Checklist to prepare you for registration:
- Read the Registration Alert email to find out when you are scheduled to register.
* Some special groups may register early; be sure you know the correct date.
- Clear any holds on your account (e.g. Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Health Services).
You can view holds in Banner, under the Student tab (Student Records).
- Make an appointment with your faculty advisor well in advance of your designated registration
time. When you meet, you will receive your registration PIN.
- View Degree Works to develop a draft schedule to review with your advisor. *if you
entered MCLA prior to fall 2016, see Banner degree evaluation.
What Happens in Academic Advising?
Advising sessions ideally include an interactive dialogue between advisor and advisee
and cover a range of topics, such as educational goals, career goals, academic progress,
and school-work-family balance. At the conclusion of a session, the advisor should
recommend a set of courses and relevant opportunities for engagement based on this
Forms and Applications